Friday, September 18, 2009

Fried Green Tomatoes

My boyfriend and I have been dating for a little over a year and a half now. Every Friday night is considered "movie night." Tonight we watched Fried Green Tomatoes and if you haven't seen this movie I would most definitely recommend you to watch it. The movie is a story within a story about an older woman in a retirement home who tells her young life story to a woman named Evelyn who comes to visit her every day. As the elderly woman tells her story throughout the movie the two women become very close friends.

The old woman tells a story of two young girls Ruth and Iggy. When Iggy was younger her brother was very much in love with Ruth. Iggy's brother had died after being struck by a train. He had been trying to fetch Ruth's hat when he got his foot stuck in the railroad track. This was devastating because both Ruth and Iggy watched his death. Iggy later becomes a complete rebel towards her family, and Ruth comes to try and assist Iggy to make better choices. Oddly Iggy and Ruth become best friends and Ruth ends up turning slightly rebellious herself. Ruth later gets married to an abusive husband and when she finds out she’s pregnant runs away with Iggy. Ruth's husband finds out about the child and harasses Ruth until he is later killed. Many thought Iggy was the murderer however, she is not. The judge dismisses the case as an accidental death after finding his truck in the river a few years after his death proved no evidence of a murder. When Ruth's son was about 8 years old she is diagnosed with cancer and passed away. Iggy was devastated by this and claims responsibility for Ruth's son. Later they find out who really killed Ruth's husband. (Which I won't give away!)


While the older woman explains the story the two grow very close. On the day that the Evelyn decides to ask the elderly lady to come and stay with her she walks into the room to find a big surprise. A nurse was taking down all of the elderly woman’s wall decorations. She burst out with tears and feels at a complete loss. Fortunately, one of the nurses came in and brought to Evelyn’s attention that she had not died but the elderly woman’s friend had passed away. I completely broke down at this moment because I was a Certified Nurse’s Assistant at one time. I worked with Rest Haven and I know what it's like for these poor individuals. My heart went out for the elderly lady as the nurse was just ripping her pictures off the wall, photo's being torn in half. No one deserves to be treated like that! First of all, most residents have either been forced to or given up their entire homes and moved into a room half the size of their own bedroom. These people barely get visitors and feel so deprived. They dream of how their life used to be and wish every day that it could be the same. I've had many residents tell me about how they would soon be leaving to go back "home" and promise that they will come back to visit me. Sadly, two of my patients pasted away in the past week which I am very saddened about. I won't give away the end of the movie because throughout the movie you will ask many questions and I don't want them to be answered by me.

1 comment: