Thursday, September 17, 2009

Fahrenheit 451 The Hearth and the Salamander

As I began reading Fahrenheit 451 I was almost in a mind of confusion. There was an extensive amount of imagery and I found myself having a hard time grasping all the information at once. While I kept reading, it became much easier to comprehend.

I was fascinated by the futuristic world in which the story is told. I found the robot dog to be fine example describing this futuristic setting. The story is about a man name Montag who is a fireman although, not the type of fireman you are thinking of. They were not used to put out fires but instead they burned books because they were against the law. One of the scenes where the book burning occurs made me feel slightly disturbed. The decision the firemen made to still burn the books in the house, while the elderly woman was still inside, completely shocked me. It made me wonder why these books were against the law, and what made the issue so demanding.
When Montag took one of the books and hid it behind his pillow it gave me an uneasy feeling because he knew the consequences to this action.

One day, Montag began interacting with a girl who had lived across the street. This girl was a curious seventeen year old, name Clarisse. She always asked so many questions and began to make Montag think about things that may have never crossed his mind before. He soon began to realize that the relationship he had with his wife wasn’t much of a relationship at all. Montag’s wife, Mildred also known as “Millie” informs Montag that Clarisse's family moved away after Clarisse had passed away. Mildred claims that she was apparently killed after being hit by a car. Montag fails to believe his wife and is curious to know what really happened.

As I was reading I began to wonder what exactly the book is banned for. Although I know to some the use of God's name in vein can clearly be offensive. I personally can't seem to understand why anyone would want ban this book from being read. I quickly became attached to the book and found myself disappointed when I had to put it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment